YB DATO’ MUKHRIZ MAHATHIR
DEPUTY MINISTER OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND INDUSTRY
THE 5th WORLD HALAL RESEARCH SUMMIT 2012
Assalamualaikum W.B.T, Good Morning and Salam 1Malaysia.
Yang Berbahagia Tan Sri Dato’ Dr. Syed Jalaludin Syed Salim,
Chairman of Halal Industry Development Corporation (HDC);
Yang Berbahagia Dato’ Seri Jamil Bidin,
Chief Executive Officer of HDC;
Members of the Media; and
1. It is my pleasure to welcome everyone to this opening of the World Halal Research Summit (WHRS) 2012. To our foreign guests, I wish all of you ‘Selamat Datang’ and welcome to Malaysia.
2. Since its inception in 2007, the World Halal Research Summit has strategically positioned Malaysia on the global halal map as an important venue for intellectual discourse on issues pivotal to the growth of the halal industry. I am told that apart from presentations by our guest speakers who will share their findings, views and experience, the sessions will also reveal opportunities to generate wealth and achieve economic prosperity.
3. The World Halal Research Summit (WHRS) has over the years brought together researchers from established institutions committed to the development of halal knowledge both locally and internationally. Research on related products, processes, services and standards relevant to the halal industry are especially important-particularly in the commercialisation process.
4. Over the years, WHR attracted more than 2000 participants from over 165 organisations in 22 countries and has received worldwide media coverage. The theme this year – ‘Innovation as Catalyst for Business Transformation’ emphasizes the need to enhance innovation of our products and services, new processes, new business systems and new methods of management, which can have a significant positive impact on productivity and growth.
5. The Malaysian Government has put into place numerous initiatives to further develop Malaysia as a preferred centre for halal R&D and Innovation. Besides providing the platform to network and exchange research findings such as this very summit, collaborations between HDC with strategic partners, universities and research institutes has successfully led us to tap on ideas and inventions which are ripe for commercialisation that will also be showcased at this event.
6. For your information, the WHR Poster Presentation will also be featured for the third time due to the overwhelming participation and support from higher learning institutions, both locally and internationally. It is encouraging to note the increasing involvement of the academia in halal innovation and research.
7. Agensi Innovasi Malaysia and HDC will affirm their collaboration to drive innovation in the halal industry as a means to enhance Malaysia’s competitiveness in the global halal market. This will be done through customised innovation programs and activities to cultivate an innovative culture within the halal-related sectors. Both parties will provide continuous nurturing and advisory services on product viability to interested halal companies or venture capitalists. Coaching will also be provided to the innovators or researchers to market their innovative products or services. I hope investors and venture capitalists will take this opportunity to explore the possibility of commercialising their prospective halal products.
8. As Malaysia transforms to a high-income nation, we need to put in place an eco-system where productivity, competitiveness and innovation drives the economy.
9. The holistic development of the halal industry and the rigorous application of new and emerging technologies in innovation and R&D throughout the halal supply chain can generate extensive growth and diversity within the industry. Coupled with the commercialisation of prototypes, the halal industry is set to make Malaysia the Centre for Halal Research and Innovation.
10. The future of Malaysia's economy will increasingly depend on the strength of our innovativeness and creativity. Our competitive edge will depend on our ability to innovate and commercialise those ideas. There is a need to embrace an environment where unique ideas and business can blend and eventually emerge as innovative products and services.
11. I am sure this year’s summit will prove to be another fruitful event for the halal industry. I understand that our distinguished speakers will share their insights and views covering topics on innovation, branding, best practises, market access and many other halal related matters. Certainly, these are interesting topics which could be thought provoking to our participants. Therefore, it is my hope that this World Halal Research Summit will encourage extensive networking and mutually beneficial deals that contribute towards the prosperity of the halal economy. I hope you will all have meaningful and productive sessions throughout this summit.
12. On that note, let me thank our distinguished speakers and participants for their support. I wish all of you every success. As for our foreign guests, I hope you will take some time out to enjoy the sights and sounds of Malaysia.
13. Thank you.